The history of our parish is the tale of two churches, born out of wars and combined to form a vibrant and active worshiping community in Cabarrus County.
- Reverend John Thomas Wheat, D.D. became first rector
- On November 27, 1877, Elizabeth C. Gibson was the first Episcopalian baptized in Cabarrus County
- In 1886, the congregation bought the old Presbyterian church for $500.00.
- The property at the corner of Cabarrus Avenue and Depot Street, now Spring Street, was purchased for $300.00 in 1891.
- In 1893, All Saints’ Saints officially recognized as a congregation by the diocese.
- One June 30, 1972 the last service in the old building on Spring Street was held.
- In the 1940s, a group of Episcopalians started meeting and formed a mission church
- They were admitted into the Diocese as the Congregation of St. James, Kannapolis on July 10, 1941.
- On November 7, 1953 Bishop Edwin Penick presided at the cornerstone laying of the St. James Church.
- On April 4, 1954, the first service was held in St. James’ new building.
Together as One
- In 1969, Reverend Woggon began considering merging the church in Concord and the one in Kannapolis.
- On December 8, 1968, both churches held congregational meetings and read the resolution to merge the two churches.
- This resolution was voted and approved by both churches on January 1, 1969.
- On April 18, 1968 both churches approved to acquire approximately 10 acres of land along Lake Concord Road from Cabarrus Country Club.
- Groundbreaking was held on April 8, 1971 as the senior communicant, Mrs. J.L. Brown (“Miss Jen”) turned the first shovel of dirt.
- The first service in our present building was held on August 6, 1972 with the placement of the Foundation Stone.
- On October 22, 1972 Bishop Thomas A. Fraser dedicated the Church and the Parish House and all the furnishings.
- In June 1984, our church received the Governor’s Volunteer Award for exemplary community involvement and outstanding accomplishment in our county and to the people of North Carolina.
- On December 22, 1985 The Rt. Reverend Robert Estill dedicated the Columbarium. Dr. Dave Lockhart designed the wrought iron gates that mark the entrance to the garden.
- In 1989 a wing was added to the church, which included 7 classrooms, a chapel, choir room, nursery, additional storage, and a room dedicated to the youth group.
- A bell tower dedicated to St. Dorothy was consecrated on February 6, 2000, complete with 3 rose bushes and 3 apple trees.
- A multi-purpose outdoor shelter was completed in 2001.
- In 2008, a new parish hall was built.
- The current rector, Nancy Cox, began her ministry on October 11, 2010.
- The last Old Country Fair was September 10, 2011.
- The first Tour de Saints was held Saturday, August 24, 2013
- The preschool closed in August of 2013
- The Lockhart Early Learning center opened in October of 2014.